Scrumptious Onion Pie is lightened with the aromatics of Lavender.
Servings: 4 servings
Preheat oven: 400ºF
Bake Time: 32-45 minutes
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell homemade or store-bought; use deep-dish shell if purchased
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk or cream
- 2 cups caramelized onions see related recipe
- 4 ounces bacon diced, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons food-grade dried lavender
- 4 to 8 ounces blue cheese such as gorgonzola, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake the pie shell for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden. Let it cool.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk or cream in a medium bowl.
- Add the onions and bacon, whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the baked pie crust. Sprinkle with the lavender and crumbled blue cheese.
- Place the pie in the oven on the lower rack. Reduce the heat to 350ºF and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until almost set but still slightly soft in the middle.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Ali’i Kula Lavender in Maui.